Saturday, November 29, 2014

Going home

Today I go home. My flight leaves around 11pm to Miami, where I will catch a connecting flight to Detroit to be met by my family. I want to take this opportunity to post about all of the feelings that are going through my head. I hope that knowing this will help anyone else facing the same situation, going home after spending months apart.
First of all, I have been wanting to go home for a while, but I know that it was well worth staying and if I had left, I would have felt the same about leaving then as I do now. I have made friends with many people that I do not want to forget. There are people from the US and Chile that I hope to stay in touch with when I get home. This trip was beyond worth missing home for a few months and, in all reality, the time really flew by. It seems like just yesterday I was meeting my host family and doing orientation.
But what is it like to leave behind a new life? It's very hard. My host family is my family. You remember that feeling of first moving out of your parents' house? Even if you didn't get along perfectly, there were still some tears and long hugs as you finished packing your car or unpacking the boxes in your residence hall. That is how I feel leaving my family.
For the last week, my head has been fighting over which feeling out weighs the other, the want to go home and be with my family and friends or stay here where I have become super comfortable with my new family and it hurts to leave. And honestly, I still don't know. All I know is that I don't have an option, I have to go home. The good thing is that while talking to my host mom, she said I was welcome to come back and visit. I hope that I get a chance to soon because I know that I am going to miss this family so very much.
It's hard to leave what has become familiar, but you can always go back if you want to.

No comments:

Post a Comment